Wednesday, August 11, 2010
Relationships : Connections pt. 2
Under the urging of my fine Brazilian friend, I have been asked to speak on relationships. Now the funny thing is I have not been in a true relationship since the one I was in with the mother of my kids. That should automatically disqualify me from even attempting to speak on the matter but, I actually have witnessed many successful ones and I always try to break down things around me to the simplest form. Here is a list because people know me for my lists (thanks Gavilan!)
* COMMUNICATION! - The key to any healthy long lasting relationship is *HONEST* communication. Say what you think/feel in a respectful manner.
* Start Off Right - You will not meet the man/woman of your dreams at a bar or strip club so stop it 5! All you will get is a baby mama or baby daddy and lots of headaches. Use my old adage. Nothing good can come out of bad. Really think about that.
* Treat It Like It's Brand New - They say that the best part of any relationship is the beginning or the "Honeymoon" period. This is accurate. The best way to keep this up is to be spontaneous and have lots of fun.
* They Won't Cheat....- Unless you give them reason to. Don't act suspect and be open to let your significant other know what you are doing and who you are doing it with. Make sure you also satisfy them emotionally, mentally, and sexually. If you do this, why go anywhere else?
* Cut the Umbilical Cord - STOP HANGING OUT WITH THOSE NOBODIES! Those single idiots will get you in trouble. If you are a couple, hang out with couples. You stopped being single and you should act like it. Hanging out with the fellas/ Girl's Night Out should be a RARE occasion. Not every week.
* Stay Sexy - Be healthy and exercise. The side effects are that they won't look elsewhere (as much).
* Cell Phones, Twitter, Facebook...- Burn it, delete, and delete. Want a successful relationship WITHOUT paranoia, this is the only way...
* Be a Best Friend - No secrets, help when you can and genuinely be concerned. If you don't bring out the best in them and they don't bring out the best in you Cut the Umbilical Cord. Don't even waste your time.
These are some tips that will help. Feel free to add on.
* If it doesn't work, don't feel bad or insecure. It was not a good connection and that is all. Learn from it and evolve.